Untermyer Gardens, Yonkers, NY
Traveling constantly isn’t a reality for most people, even for those of us that like to write about it. For those of us with standard office jobs, it is especially impossible. However, one way I keep a sense of exploration when I’m stuck in those months between vacations is a sort of “local adventure map” that I consistently add new things to.
My home base adventure map includes New York City and the two counties above it where I have lived, Rockland & Westchester. I add pins for museums and beautiful estates I want to visit, restaurants to try out, and even just spots that might have a nice view. Then when the weekend rolls around and I want to go photograph or eat something new, I just pick a spot on the map and try it out.
Here are a few spots currently on my list:
Beautiful / Historic Places to Photograph
- Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate (Sleepy Hollow, Westchester)
- Top of the Rock Observation Deck (Rockefeller Center, Manhattan, NYC)
- Lyndhurst Mansion (Tarrytown, Westchester) - I finally made my way to this spot the other weekend, check out my stroll through the grounds over here.
- Edward Hopper House Art Center (Nyack, Rockland)
- Hudson River Museum (Yonkers, Westchester)
- Rubin Museum of Art (Manhattan, NYC)
Restaurants & Cafes
- Blossom for vegan fare (Manhattan, NYC)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns for farm-to-table dining (Pocantico Hills, Westchester)
- Red Rooster for comfort food (Manhattan, NYC)
Thanks for reading, and please let me know of any spots I should add! As always, please leave any questions, suggestions, or comments in the section below,
Date & Locations: 2015 & 2016 - Untermyer Gardens, Yonkers, NY (Another spot that was originally on my list!)
Photos taken with: Nikon D5300, Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8 Lens, & Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens